Saturday, April 22, 2017

Reiji Kotobuki Solo Interview (Part 2 of 2)

All of the translations linked here are my own work. Please DO NOT re-post or screenshot my work without permission.


Unlike the Idol Q&A, the Solo Interviews are all personalized, with different questions for each idol. Each idol is asked 6 or 7 questions, and I have divided each interview into two parts. Reiji's interview can be found on page 112 of the 5th Anniversary Book. Part 1 of this interview can be found here.


So how have solo activities been?

When I’m alone, maybe I become a slightly selfish Rei-chan by working at relatively my own pace? I clearly insist on doing something and will try any method in order to make that possible. That means I get greedy. Since I work based on the evaluation of viewers, it becomes inevitable to aim for the viewer’s surprise and enjoyment. I spare no effort for that. By growing and advancing to the next thing, I think I could live in this industry. Because I wanna spend the same time with my fans* for just a little longer. I don't know until when that I'll be able to do this, but I want to continue for as long as I can.

Please tell us your future aspects and what you’d like to try as an idol. 

I don’t really have a concrete image of what I’d wanna be like. Or, maybe I’m trying not to unconsciously create one? I don’t wanna decide on just one image of myself. When you set limits for yourself, don't you end up being satisfied with that? I believe in doing the things I want to do one at a time, and accumulating it into the image that is "Reiji Kotobuki." So there's also the possibility that even I could move in an unpredicted direction. But I wanna enjoy that and make that a part of my own personality. No matter how old I become, it would be wonderful to be able to exist as that kind of an unknown quantity.

Lastly, please give a message to your future self! 

Future Reiji Kotobuki, are you still an idol? Or have you quit and inherited Kotobuki Bento? (haha) As myself, no matter how old you get I want you to keep being an idol! So take care of your body and do your best with gusto!

Translator's Notes

I've noticed that Reiji's Japanese gets more complex when he talks more seriously so there were a few bumps along the way in translating. It's easy to see just how incredibly wise he is from his years as an idol!

*Reiji uses "My Girl" but he often uses that to refer to his fans, so I translated it as such. 

No comments:

Post a Comment