Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Reiji Kotobuki Solo Interview (Part 1 of 2)

All of the translations linked here are my own work. Please DO NOT re-post or screenshot my work without permission.


Unlike the Idol Q&A, the Solo Interviews are all personalized, with different questions for each idol. Each idol is asked 6 or 7 questions, and I have divided each interview into two parts. Reiji's interview can be found on page 112 of the 5th Anniversary Book.

How do you feel looking back on your entertainment activities up until now? 

I entered the entertainment industry when I was 10 years old. It was quite a common pattern for ’Sis to send me audition applications, haha. But it wasn’t that I wasn’t interested; it’s that I loved seeing Ma's enjoyment as I imitated her favorite idols. Talks advanced smoothly and I soon joined the ranks of popularity after debuting as a child. Although that’s something extremely lucky to happen, at that time I mistook it for being due to my own abilities. You could say I was young and thoughtless. But, this industry is a business of popularity. There are good times and bad times. As popularity fades, so does attention. I noticed that, but it was already too late. At that time I really thought it was over, haha.

What did you gain following that experience? 

I experienced the value of work from the bottom of my heart. To say that I’m busy is a really happy thing. But I don’t really notice the tiring times. The attitude of finding the enjoyment in something no matter how tough it is, is important. If you’re gonna do something, don’t you wanna enjoy doing it? Furthermore, it’s especially important to never forget that feeling of thankfulness. It’s obvious but, being able to know that people also change when the environment changes had a significant meaning.

Currently you’re active as a member of QUARTET NIGHT. What kind of things have you become aware of? 

In QUARTET NIGHT the members are individualistic, so if I don’t put myself out there distinctly, wouldn’t I get drowned out by the others? But if I put myself out there a little too much, we’ll end up disconnected, so determining the dosage is really difficult. The four of us having a miraculous balance is due to that being established. I cherish this relationship that lets us shine and resonate with each other.

Translator's Notes

I love translating 姉ちゃん and 母ちゃん as "'Sis" and "Ma" because it's funny to imagine him as a Mama's boy and a chatty little brother! I was a bit unclear on what kind of 書類 (documents) he was referring to in the first question, but after some consultation I learned that they were audition applications for TV roles, so I translated it as such. His sister is so supportive! ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment